Thursday, April 2, 2009

Be Still, My Soul



Last sunday was ward conference and this hymn, Be Still, My Soul, was the closing hymn.


The past few weeks have been kind of hard for me... spiritually, as well as mentally. I can feel myself unconsciously pushing myself away from the ones that I love most. And I hate it. But at times I think that its for the best. Then, a couple weeks ago I was talking to a friend of mine and we were basically giving each other advice about things. She said that I need to give it my everything. To put my whole heart into it. And things will work out the way they are supposed to work out. --Those words were a great comfort to me. And now, when ever I start to feel that doubt enter my mind, those words automatically hit me. I'm still trying to not distance myself... but that's still a work in progress.


Well this hymn that we sang, has stuck with me since Sunday. Every day this past week I've caught myself thinking about it... even singing it. Here are the lyrics (the music's beautiful too, so if you have a hymn book and can play, play this song):



Be Still, My Soul, Hymn no. 124


Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side; With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In ev’ry change he faithful will remain. Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake To guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on When we shall be forever with the Lord,When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored. Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past, All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.



So if you really read the lyrics to this, you can probably understand the joy and comfort it's helped bring me. I know that because "Thy God doth undertake To guide the future as he has the past", because He has already helped guide me in my past, that He will help guide me in my future as well. I know He loves me, and I so greatly wish I could express how much I love Him. I cant wait... I cant wait for the day when we are all together, rejoicing in the Lord. When we are all finally happy with the knowledge that we WILL be with Him again.





The hour is hast’ning on When we shall be forever with the Lord,When
disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored. Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past, All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.



1 comment:

  1. I love it! The one thing that always reminds me to keep going, when things are getting rough, are the lyrics to "Come Thou Fount"

    1.Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
    tune my heart to sing thy grace;
    streams of mercy, never ceasing,
    call for songs of loudest praise.
    Teach me some melodious sonnet,
    sung by flaming tongues above.
    Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
    mount of thy redeeming love.

    2.Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
    hither by thy help I'm come;
    and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
    safely to arrive at home.
    Jesus sought me when a stranger,
    wandering from the fold of God;
    he, to rescue me from danger,
    interposed his precious blood.

    3.O to grace how great a debtor
    daily I'm constrained to be!
    Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
    bind my wandering heart to thee.
    Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
    prone to leave the God I love;
    here's my heart, O take and seal it,
    seal it for thy courts above.

    ReplyDelete