Monday, May 11, 2009

Storm



"Storm"
by Lifehouse

How long have I been in this storm?
So overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form
Water's getting harder to tread
With these waves crashing over my head

If I could just see you
Everything would be all right
If I'd see you
This darkness would turn to light

And I will walk on water
And you will catch me if I fall
And I will get lost into your eyes
I know everything will be alright
I know everything is alright

I know you didn't bring me out here to drown
So why am I ten feet under and upside down
Barely surviving has become my purpose
Because I'm so used to living underneath the surface

If I could just see you
Everything would be all right
If i'd see you
This darkness would turn to light

And I will walk on water
And you will catch me if I fall
And I know everything will be alright
I know everything will be alright



I've realized throughout these past few years, that EVERYONE has storms. They have points in their lives where things will seem the darkest. That that 'storm' has hit. This song, Storm, has been in my head for literally every moment the past three days. I have listened to it over 50 times, not including it constantly being on repeat in my head. Now, normally by this time the song would have become extremely annoying... but not this time. It's so simple, yet expresses just about everything that I have felt this past week. I have had many a storm in my life. But at this point in time, I am so utterly and completely happy. And I don't really have reason to be, but I don't have reason not to be."
I know everything will be alright, I know everything is alright." I'm happy, and yet I've felt something underneath it all. A Storm has been building. Not a breakdown or angry kind of storm, but more of a peaceful, calm storm. Sort of like the equivalent of a spring rain. This past Saturday night, as I kneeled down to pray before I went to bed, I was able to just let it all out for the first time in about a month. I mean, I pray every night... but it's just felt mechanical. This prayer was the prayer of someone in need. I needed this underlying pain to be lifted. I needed help dismissing my own little storm. And as I let it all out, I really did let it all out. Lately, i've found it hard to cry anything more than just tearing up... which is really unusual for me. I'm a cry baby. But I did. For the first time in about two months, I could cry. And you know what? It felt... nice. I felt that burden slowly being lifted off my shoulders. It'll take time- time heals- but it'll all be better. What i've also learned throughout these past few years, is that at the end of every storm, is a light. One of the brightest and most beautiful lights. The sun shines, the sky is clear. And... it's peaceful.

"But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." -Sam, LotR






1 comment:

  1. Oh Mari, I am in the same exact boat. I have been having the hardest time lately, and it was sad that at my own Grandma's funeral, I couldn't full out cry. I ended up getting a migraine because I COULDN'T or should I say WOULDN'T full out cry. The last time I said a prayer like the one you said, was the Saturday night after I had visited Thomas, Jessica and David in Arkansas for the first time, ever. Looking back on it, I prayed because they lived so far away, and the spirit they brought was irreplaceable. I have the hardest time praying for reasons beyond JUST anyone's business, and this is the World Wide Web. But really Mari, it'll get so good for you, I promise. Just don't let go of it when you get it. This song reminds me most of why I was blessed with the gift I have, when I read people's eyes. I hate reading people's eyes sometimes, because my burden isn't the only one I'm worried about anymore. But I know that sometimes, the light is in the form of a person. And I know things will always get better for me, and they'll always get better for you.

    Love you tons, Mari!
    -Nat

    ReplyDelete